Thursday, September 24, 2009

Popular Piety

I have not finished the section on the Stations of the Cross. However, I have pushed on with other aspects of the Prayerbook. I have begun using the Directory on Popular Piety issued a few years ago by the Vatican as guide of sorts. It is especially a guide for the celebrations throughout the Liturgical Year.

This endeavor has been worthwhile in pointing me toward some devotions which are not common in United States but which might be beneficial. For instance, I remember a few years ago hearing about the Via Lucis, or the Stations of Light. This devotion would be particularly useful during Easter, and is patterned after the Stations of the Cross. While I believe it would be for families or even parishes to continue celebrating the Stations of the Cross on Fridays even during Easter, the Stations of Light seem an excellent devotion for Sundays of Easter.

Moreover, it was interesting to see the CDW recommending devotion to the Most Precious Blood. In all major Prayerbooks of which I am aware, the Litany of the Precious Blood is not included, despite the fact that it is one of the five litanies included in the Enchiridion of Indulgences. This includes the American Catholic Household Blessings and Prayers.

It would be an excellent thing if we were able to restore devotion to the Precious Blood in the life of the Church of the United States. Indeed, this whole endeavor ought to go some way in restoring a sense of Catholic identity. I pray that this endeavor will succeed, and I hope that there are those out there with suggestions as to how this might succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment